Living Doll

When I was younger Gia Carangi was the “It” Girl in modeling. At the time I didn’t know she was a lesbian.  Neither was I aware of Gia’s Immensely successful but incredibly troubled image life plagued by Heroin addiction.  In fact I didn’t learn about it until the early 1990’ when I read her biography.

Gia Marie Carangi is considered the very first “Super Model.”

Gia Marie Carangi (January 29, 1960, Philadelphia, PA – November 18, 1986, Philadelphia, PA) was an American fashion model during the late 1970s and early 1980s. Carangi, who was of Italian, Welsh and Irish ancestry, was widely considered the first "Supermodel". Cindy Crawford, who also appeared on the covers of several fashion publications during Gia's time, was referred to as "Baby Gia", due to her resemblance to Gia Carangi
.

Gia Marie Carangi
Cindy “Baby Gia” Crawford
gia image
Carangi was also the first to present unusual poses, facial expressions and gestures. She is credited by image many at the upper echelons of fashion to have created a new style of modeling, emulated by models since then to the present, especially the models only known by one  name. "Gia" made that particularly cool.

So for all of the young lesbians out there, Angelina’s movie" "Gia" was based on a REAL person.  Sometimes when people watch representations on the screen we tend not to think that much of what we see is based on REALITY.


Gia and Partner Jane [?]

I am certain that like myself: Every young woman and young girl fancied herself as being the next “supermodel” (Didn’t quite turn out that way for many of us). Still Gia Carangi gave me and many others a template that is imprinted forever.


GIA..”You know, I thank God that I'm good-looking” (So Do I Girl)

Immortalized by Angelina Jolie
in the movie: Gia
Gia Carangi’s beauty ranged from ingénue innocence to cosmopolitan sophistication.  So that despite her own beauty, Angelina Jolie never measured up.  Still it was a good movie.




Modeling Today:


What was considered racist action on the part of Modeling Agencies in the past [e.g. I remember the very first agency I was at informed me that I was "Too Exotic" did it mean I looked: Asian/Pacific, African/Hispanic?  This was particularly disturbing considering that back in the day muti-etnicity wasn't in vogue and being biracial or even muti-ethnic was usually considered as  white woman being raped by a black man (completely untrue and something used by whites to excuse their own behavior).

In the past it seemed as if industry power brokers didn't take into account that other cultures and races also produced mixed children). So it's troubling that today most catwalks are still primarly dominated by white models when it's Haute Couture or well known designers and when a model of color is working there is a high probability that she will be channeling some best forgotten stereotype from the past.  Seems like the more things change the more they stay the same.

Conversely today every single fugly person roaming the surface of the earth can now claim to be a model, because boundaries have been blurred and specialization has emerged. Look a person can be "fugly" true but when they transform into beautiful well that's what makes a model.

For me though modeling has always been "All About The Pretty."
image